I haven't made a mini for myself in a while, so I was geeked when I saw Kelly Purkey's new Reading List Mini in Minutes kit. I hope you were able to grab one because they sold out quickly! If you missed it, Kelly has opened up a stamp set preorder along with a downloadable version of the cards that you can print yourself. It's the next best option and you can grab that here.
This mini was so fun to make + only took 30 minutes to put together! Here's a step-by-step on how I did it :
1. The cards in the kit are 4x4, so first I wanted to figure out what I would do for book covers. I had a We R Memory Keepers 4x4 album on hand, but didn't think this mini needed to be that big or thick. Plus, because the cards in Kelly's kits are nice + thick (+ double-sided), I knew I could use both sides without worrying about pen or ink bleed-through. Therefore, I didn't need to put them in a page protector because I wasn't just going to use one side. I also had a couple of Jamaica's frosted acrylic album covers, in pink and blue, that I purchased from her earlier this year. They are just over 4x4 and were perfect for this mini. I ended up choosing the pink covers.
2. My plan was to alternate a photo with a double-sided journaling card throughout the mini. I went through the photos on my computer and chose my 8 favorites that were either reading or book related. I knew I didn't have a photo to match each book and that was okay. Random is good in this case.
3. After trimming the photos to 4x4, I picked one to be the opening page. The one of our bookshelf (in ROYGBIV order no less) was my favorite
4. Using a tape runner, I began adhering my photos back to back. They aren't in any particular order, but I did try to be mindful of the colors in the photo when choosing a journaling card to go with it on the opposite side. The reverse sides of the cards are all different too, making the mini extra colorful.
5. I love that the "reading list" stamp is a perfect outline of the same text on the journaling cards. I chose to offset the stamped image a bit on all of the cards. Below that, I lined up the stamp for the title, author and review, making sure the line under the title was in the color space below the first grid block. Below I have a closeup of the original card with a card I stamped on :
6. Using my goal tracker for reference, I wrote in the title, author and some thoughts on each book I've read so far this year. I used a date stamp with red ink to note the date I finished the book. The extra space to add a favorite quote is fun too. This was pretty easy for me for the books I read on my Kindle as I like to highlight and save favorite passages. Love that feature! Otherwise, I used Goodreads to recall a quote for books I got at the library.
7. There is a tiny star stamp that you can use to fill in the row of five empty stars. I used it on my cards over the 1-10 numbers to rate each book - inked in yellow.
8. I used some of the words and phrases from the stamp set that comes with the kit and inked them in black on vellum to cut out and adhere to some of my photos. On the others, I stamped directly to the photo. Super simple.
9. On the cover, I adhered the "I love books" badge to the center with a foam dot. On the inside cover, you could see the back of the badge, so I covered it with a 1" circle scrap that I stamped "2015" on with Kelly's Mercer Alphabet Stamps in black.
10. Lastly, I added some white chipboard letters (I think these are some old Heidi Swapp Color Pop alphas) to spell out READ in a grid to the bookshelf opening page. I love how you can see that first page through the frosted cover.
Here's a look at the interior pages with the books I've read so far. Click on an image below to view it larger, and then click the arrows on the side to "flip" through the book :
This kit comes with 14 cards and I only used 4, so I will have plenty to add the books I read during the remainder of the year. While I only have to read two more to reach my goal this year, I'm sure I'll surpass that. Can't wait to see what other people make with this kit!
Supplies used : Kelly Purkey Reading List Mini in Minutes kit + Mercer Alphabet Stamps, Jamaica Makes frosted acrylic 4x4 album covers, vellum, Versafine Black Onyx ink, Color Theory Well Red and Lemon Zest ink, Micron .01 pen, 1" binder rings, circle foam dots.